WARNING: Unauthorized access to this system is forbidden and will be prosecuted by law. By accessing this system, you agree that your actions may be monitored if unauthorized usage is suspected.

FAQs - General Questions

First and foremost, in a fun and safe environment you will learn and develop the physical and mental skills needed to safely ride a motorcycle. Upon successful completion, you will receive a DMV licensing skills test waiver certificate. When you take this to the DMV (along with any other necessary documentation), they will waive the written and riding tests. You will also receive a Motorcycle Safety Foundation card, entitling you in Tennessee to a liability insurance discount.


Mid Tenn Motorcycle Education Center, a private company in cooperation with the Tennessee Department of Safety and the State of Tennessee Motorcycle Rider's Education Program (MREP), adminsters these courses. All course curriculum adheres to strict standards of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF), and is closely monitored by the State of Tennessee, Department of Safety, Motorcycle Rider Educaton Program (MREP)

All RiderCoaches are certified by the MSF, and most are also licensed by the State of Tennessee. These dedicated men and women are regularly observed by State and MSF inspectors to ensure they continue to perform at the high standards set by the MSF.

For the Basic RiderCourses, we provide the motorcycles, classroom materials, and have loaner DOT approved motorcycle helmets for your use.

Basic RiderCourse curriculum includes material to introduce the student to motorcycle types, risk awareness and risk acceptance, preparing to ride with proper personal protective gear and a pre-ride inspection, the various controls on motorcycles, engine starting and stopping procedures, strategies for managing risk on the street, common situations, maximum braking and swerving, special riding situations; and the need to ride unimpaired by drugs, alcohol, or other things that can reduce your ability to safely operate a motorcycle.

You must bring a long sleeve shirt or jacket, long sturdy pants, over-the-ankle footwear (boots), full fingered gloves, a DOT approved helmet if you have one (we will provide one for you if you do not have one), and approved eye protection if your helmet doesn’t come with a face shield. You must come to class with these items in order to participate.

We also recommend that if the weather forcast is preicting more than a 20% chance of rain that you bring rain gear. (We do not cancel class because of rain.) You should also bring water and snacks, and something to sit on during breaks if you wish.

It is not essential to have any riding experience. However, you need to have the ability to balance and stabilize a two-wheeled vehicle. If you have not ridden a bicycle in a long time, it would be a good idea to get some practice before attempting to ride a motorcycle.

If you are between 15 and 18 years old you will need the signature of a parent or legal guardian in order to take the course. This parent or guardian MUST be with you before class starts on Saturday morning in order to sign the course waiver form. If you show up for class on Saturday without your parent or legal guardian you will be sent home.

Anyone under the age of 16 that desires their motorcycle license will be required to take the written rules of the road test at the DMV before a license is issued.

Those taking the Basic RiderCourse are furnished training motorcycles for class. Those taking the ERC/BRC2 (Experienced RiderCourse), or Ultimate Bike Bonding will need a licensed and insured motorcycle to take class.

Yes, after much study, review and practice, students take a written test in class and a skills evaluation on the range. All the material is covered and re-covered before tests are given. Verbal tests are available for those with reading or language issues. The Basic RiderCourse Handbook and the test are available in Spanish also.

Upon successful completion of the course, you are given a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) completion card. Take this card to your insurance agent for the discount on your liability insurance. It is also needed for those wanting to ride on military installations.

You take the State certificate, which you generally receive after successful completion of the class, to your drivers license testing station where the knowledge and skills tests are then waived. The certificate is not a license to ride a motorcycle. We suggest that you take a photo copy of the certificate with you as well as the original. Be sure to sign the certificate before you go to the DMV. You may also be asked to take a vision test. They will keep the copy of your certificate and issue you a new driver's license with the "M" endorsement.

Note: If your driver's license is from another state, you need to call your state's drivers license testing station and check with them about whether or not they will accept an out-of-state course completion certificate. Some states do, others do not.

The Basic RiderCourse - $210
The Experienced RiderCourse - $105

Go to top